Department Store SantasNovember 27, 2017
When the first department store Santa appeared in 1890, it wasn’t just a cross section of Christmas and commerce. It was also a major step in the evolution of Santa Claus.
Sadly, no photos exist of James Edgar dressed in his Santa Claus costume.
- First Department Store Santa: The Web site created by John Merian, who appears in this episode
- Eventually Supertrain: The Web site for Daniel Budnick, who shares a Christmas memory on the show
Music from this episode
- “Thannoid” — Blue Dot Sessions, via Free Music Archive
- “Are We Loose Yet” — Blue Dot Sessions, via Free Music Archive
- “Heliotrope” — Blue Dot Sessions, via Free Music Archive
- “Wish Background” — Kevin MacLeod, via Incompetech
Stay connected to Christmas Past
Be sure to follow Christmas Past on social media. I’m posting fun extra Christmassy content on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I also sometimes post things to Pinterest. You can send me messages in any of those places, or you can write me at christmaspastpodcast AT gmail DOT COM. I reply to every email I get!
And please rate and review the show on iTunes. It’s a quick and painless way to show support. It takes less than a minute, and it helps more people find the show.