Santa Claus, Part 1November 15, 2016
We’re kicking off the 2016 season with a three-part series about how St. Nicholas became Santa Claus. Most of the episodes this season are for the whole family, but this series is for grownups only, for obvious reasons.
If you think you know St. Nicholas, you may be in for a few surprises when you hear this episode. Did you know, for example….
- Legend says he resurrected three boys who were butchered to death by an evil innkeeper
- He is said to have cold-cocked a fellow theologian during a heated debate
- He is the patron saint of pawnbrokers
You’ll hear that and much, much more in this episode. I’m joined by Bruce David Forbes, a professor of religious studies and the author of the wonderful book, Christmas: A Candid History.
Music in this episode
- “Hammer and Damper” — The Blue Dot Sessions, via Free Music Archive
- “Red City Theme” — The Blue Dot Sessions, via Free Music Archive
- “I Am Running Down the Hallway of the Viewmont Elementary” — Chris Zabriskie, via Free Music Archive
- “Sunset” — Podington Bear, via Free Music Archive
Stay connected to Christmas Past
Be sure to follow Christmas Past on social media. I’m posting fun extra Christmassy content on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I also sometimes post things to Pinterest. You can send me messages in any of those places, or you can write me at christmaspastpodcast AT gmail DOT COM. I reply to every email I get!
And please rate and review the show on iTunes. It’s a quick and painless way to show support. It takes less than a minute, and it helps more people find the show.