Wrapping PaperDecember 9, 2016
The appearance of festive gift wrap in stores is one of the first signs that the Christmas season is here. But wrapping Christmas gifts is a relatively new custom.
Tissue paper “gift dressings” had been around for a while. The captain of that industry was Dennison Manufacturing of Framingham, MA.
Dennison operated in Framingham for nearly a century. The company was acquired by Avery in the 1990s.
In this episode we hear from Pat Lavin, author of Welcome to Dennison Manufacturing Co.
- The Framingham History Center, which has an exhibit of Dennison’s history
- Omitted, the podcast hosted by Corey, who shares a Christmas memory in this episode
- More information about Welcome to Dennison Manufacturing Co., by Pat Lavin
Music in this episode
- “Gentle Marimbas” — Podington Bear, via Free Music Archive
- “Lyric Pieces, Op. 12 – I. Arietta” — Edvard Grieg, via Musopen
- “Luminous Rain” — Kevin MacLeod, via Incompetech
- “Mirabelle” — Podington Bear, via Free Music Archive
Stay connected to Christmas Past
Be sure to follow Christmas Past on social media. I’m posting fun extra Christmassy content on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I also sometimes post things to Pinterest. You can send me messages in any of those places, or you can write me at christmaspastpodcast AT gmail DOT COM. I reply to every email I get!
And please rate and review the show on iTunes. It’s a quick and painless way to show support. It takes less than a minute, and it helps more people find the show.