Victorian carolers wouldn’t go until they got some. But many Americans wouldn’t know one if they saw one. The figgy pudding (or plum pudding or Christmas pudding) has been with us for many centuries, and in many forms. How did a Medieval savory soup become a fruity, boozy and exclusively Christmassy dessert?
Glen Warren from the Seasons Eatings podcast joins Brian in this episode.
Mentioned in this episode
The Village Carolers:
Music in this episode
- “We Wish You a Merry Christmas” — As performed by the Village Carolers, used with permission from the artists
- “Invisible Beauty” — Aakash Gandhi, via YouTube Audio Library
- “Just Stay” — Aakash Gandhi, via YouTube Audio Library
- “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear” — Kevin MacLeod, via Incompetech
- “Wish Background” — Kevin MacLeod, via Incompetech
The clip from A Christmas Carol came from a Librivox recording, narrated by Elizabeth Klett.