We’re taking a trip back to the 80s. It was a time when it was not only possible, but likely, that any popular toy would have its own line of spinoff merchandise, a breakfast cereal, and a Saturday morning cartoon. And if it was popular enough…it got a Christmas special. 1985 gave us The Glo Friends Save Christmas. A half-hour special in which the Glo Friends must save Santa Claus from the clutches of an evil witch who’s determined to stop Christmas. I recently caught up with some of my Christmas podcasting colleagues to discuss the good, the bad, and the head-scratchingly absurd about this largely forgotten cartoon special.
- There’s still time to get tickets for Christmas Land in Los Angeles on December 15. Follow on Instagram @christmaslandexperience
- A Christmas in July convention is in the works for 2020 in Nashville…and I’ll be there!
- Follow on Instagram @christmasinjulyconvention and on Twitter @AJulyChristmas
- If you leave a review I’ll send you a Christmas card containing a Christmas Past sticker. Write me at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Send your Christmas memory for the 2019 season. Record yourself on your phone’s voice recorder app and send it to email@example.com.
- The Glo Friends Save Christmas full special on YouTube
- Tinsel Tunes podcast with Duane Bailey
- Can’t Wait for Christmas podcast with Tim Babb
- Christmas Clatter podcast with Todd Killian
- Advent Calendar House podcast with Mike Westfall
Music in this episode
“Turning” — Blue Dot Sessions via Free Music Archive